Bloglily wanted my plan on how to get through December. While for most people December seems to be the time of racing around, stressed, buying presents and generally getting into the mood for Christmas – I try to not get too depressed.
I find December normally a tough time to get through. I am not really a christmassy person, it’s the time where you realize that being single is not always the coolest thing in the world, and the short days and lack of light seem to have their influence on me.
I shortly thought of leaving the country and go travelling, but then, wherever you go it is Christmas, plane tickets prices are doubled up because of that, and the places you go to are busy. I decided to stay in London and make the best of it.
Here is my plan on getting through December without going mad, sad or bad.
- I have at least 37 DVD’s with that ehrm, voiciliciously delicious man. This means that I will get through December without having to worry about anything at all, right?
- I just ordered: When Harry met Sally, Serendipity and You’ve got Mail. All three are shot in New York. All three are rom-com’s. I expect them to arrive soon. Love Actually, The Girl In The Cafe, Bridget Jones and Notting Hill are already waiting on my table.
- My new red(!) laptop will arrive next week.
- I have to work, and will only be off on the 25,26,27,28th of December and on the 1st of January. For now-uh. Things might change.
- I have to write at least 19 this-is-not-a-christmas-card cards. I look forward to that very much.
- If things go as planned I will receive about 19 this-is-not-a-christmas-but-a-love-actually-card cards too. I can’t tell you how much I look forward to see those.
- I have 2 days of screen writing class this weekend. I just returned from the first day, and I am again knackered. I can’t really tell what my tutor thought of my script (because I am not really sure what he thinks), but I am ahead of schedule and can begin my first rewrite. I will spend time on that in December.
There is a break up scene in my script, and I spend quite some time on getting that one right. We broke it down in class and looked at it, and it has to be rewritten. While I felt that this was a tough breakup for both characters, I can now see that it can be and has to be made much tougher. Those scenes are hard to write, especially because you have to dig into your own past and try to remember how those break up scenes went. I am not too proud to admit that I am quite experienced in that area, I never thought that would come in useful, although it is not entirely painless to write those scenes.
So – quite some time in December will be spent on writing. Both script and here.
- I will meet two nice people I have never met before for a tea/coffee in London. Look forward to that too.
- I promise to go out and explore some of the 1000 things from this book that I recently bought. I need to and want to fall back in love with London again. I promise to take pictures too.
- I will go to the cinema to watch Enchanted and possibly some other movies as well.
- I might go and get myself a tattoo.
- And here is probably my best idea:
I put an ad out on Shooting People (which is a film makers community). It was a bit longer but here is my central inquiry:
I am one of the people not very fond of this time of the year and I was wondering if there are other people around who, in stead of running around in the city like crazy for presents, like to be creative and make a short film?
Until now I received 8 responses from people who are interested, incl. people with camera experience and a composer. I can’t promise anything because I am depending on other people for this but it looks promising. I will try and do my very best to get it organized and pulled off. It’s just for fun so don’t expect too much. If anything comes out of it, it will be uploaded somewhere so you can have a look.
Do I have any idea on what the film is going to be about? Not quite, or maybe a little.
Is there a script? No.
Things I won’t do in December:
- Buy rubbish xmas gifts
- Go to xmas dinners and get pissed
- Buy anything that remotely indicates to have anything to do with xmas
- Put up an xmas tree
- Burn candles
Because I don’t like Christmas, except when he is all around …